Comprehension and Precis Writing:
If you have learned all the translation rules in better way and you have watched my translation videos and paragraphs to comprehend them in the best way, then you have a better and complete ability to understand and comprehend the paragraphs of comprehension. To judge the how much ability you have to understand anything, a paragraph is given to the students in paper B, consisting some question related to the paragraphs blow any paragraph and then a question to make a precis of the paragraph. We can find some answer from the paragraphs, but how can we find them from paragraph correctly, you should keep in mind some rules to understand. These are given as under:
اگر آپ نے ترجمہ کے اصولوں کو اچھی طرح ذہن نشین کر لیا ہے اور میرے ترجمہ کے پیرا گرافس اور ویڈیوز کو اچھی طرح دیکھ کر سمجھ لیا ہے تو پھر آپ کو کسی بھی پیرا گراف کو سمجھنے کی پوری صلاحیت رکھتے ہیں۔ یہ جا نچنے کےلیے آپ میں کسی بات کو سمجھنے کی کتنی صلاحیت موجود ہے۔ عموماً امتحان مین ایک پیراگراف دیا جاتا ہے جس کے نیچے کچھ سوالات پوچھے گئے ہو تے ہیں۔ تاہم کچھ سوالات پوچھے جاتے ہیں اس سوالات کے جوابات پیراگراف میں ہی موجود ہوتے ہیں۔ تا ہم سوالات کے درست جوابات کی تلاش اور ان کو صحیح انداز میں سمجھنے کیلیے کچھ اصولوں کو مدِ نظر بہت ضروری ہے
نیچے دیے گئے تما م پوائنٹس کو اردو میں سمجھنے کیلیے نیچے دی گئی ویڈیو کو ضرور دیکھیں ۔ میں نے ایک ایک پوائنٹ کو مکمل تفصیل کے ساتھ سمجھا نے کی کوشش کی ہے
The Basic Rule of Comprehension: (Answers the questions)
- Read the paragraph thoroughly at least thrice and understand the basic theme of the paragraph. If you cannot understand some words or sentences, understand the context of these words and sentences repeatedly until you find the real meaning automatically.
- Write a title of the paragraph before answering the questions. Every paragraph has a keyword or key phrase that signify the title of the paragraph. Just find and understand that keyword or key phrase. Find the title from these keywords or key phrases that cover the whole material of the paragraph. Title can be a single word or of many words depending on the keyword or key phrase. Here I have given a paragraph to understand how to find questions, title and make a precis.
Texila contains some of the old relics. The ruins of Texila have been traced in Bhir Mound, Sirkup, Sirsukh, Jaulian and Jaudial. These places are at short distances from one another. It was a very important city between the river Indus and the river Jehlum. Asoka had done a lot to make it one of the greatest centers of learning during his reign (273-232 BC). The Greeks, the Parthians and the Khushans rebuilt the city of different sites (within an area of about 12 square miles) until it was destroyed by the Huns in the 5th century.
Now we come to the title to write:
You can find title for this paragraph as
- The Ruins of Texila
- A Short Historical Background of Texila
Now let us discuss on titles:
The first title is correct but it is in complete. Second is wrong as is does not merely define the ruins of Texila. Thirds title is correct as it covers all about Texila, its surroundings, The Ruling of Ashoke, restoration of Texila and then its destruction. So it seems that this paragraph comprises the short history of Texila.
Now let us to the question and answers:
- Read the questions carefully and attentively to find the possible answers of the questions: underline the possible answers from the paragraph.
- Answer the question in same tense as it is asked such as if the question is asked I with the word of “did” then use 2nd form of verb in answer as it “Past Indefinite”
Here is an example of question:
Q: When did Asoka rule there?
Answer: Asoka ruled there from 273 BC to 232 BC.
- Do not use bracket () or dash(-)
- Do not lengthen the answer without any essential reason or leave it with the sense of incomplete. It mean it should be relevant and to the point.
- Write the answer into your own words, do not copy and paste the related the material from the paragraph.
- Avoid repetition, examples, and irrelevant explanation in the answers.
- Don’t answer the words in single worlds like (yes or No)
Here is an example
Q: Did the Politicians hoodwink the people?
It is wrong, the answer should be:
Answer: yes, the Politicians hoodwinked the people.
- Answer should not be started with “because”.
- Always use direct narration in the answers. Mean the given adverbs, pronouns and tenses of “Direct Narration” should be changed according to narration rules.
- Always use third person in answers, mean change the 1st and 2nd person like I, you in 3rd person “he, she, it or they”.
- Do not add anything from your own thinking.
Keeping these suggestions in your mind will improve your comprehension.