Teaching more even than most other professions, has been transformed during the last hundred years from a small, highly skilled profession concerned with a minority of the population, to a large and important branch of the public service. The profession has a great and honorable tradition extending from the dawn of history until recent times, but any teacher in the modern world who allows himself to be inspired by the ideals of his predecessors is likely to be made sharply aware that it is not his function to teach what he thinks, but instill such beliefs and prejudices as are thought useful by his employers. In former days, a teacher was expected to be a man of exceptional knowledge or wisdom to whose words men would do well to attend. In antiquity, teachers were not an organized profession and no control was exercised over what they taught. It is true they were often punished afterwards for their subversive doctrines. Socrates was put to death and Plato is said to have been thrown into prison, but such incidents did not interfere with the spread of their doctrines.
(i) What changes have occurred in the teaching profession during the last hundred years?
(ii) What were the teachers supposed to be in golden days?
(iii) What is the function of a teacher nowadays?
(iv) Write a note on the rewards that a teacher gets nowadays.
(v) Suggest a suitable title for the passage.
(vi) Make a précis of the above passage.
- Create changes have occurred in the profession of teaching during the last hundred years. It has changed from skilled profession to a large branch of a public service.
- The teachers were supposed to be a man of exceptional knowledge or wisdom to whose words the man would listen to.
- Today it is the function of a teacher is to instill such beliefs and prejudices as are thought useful by his employers
- Even now a day, a teacher does not get proper rewards for his service. He has to work a lot to fulfill his duty, but his salary is poor. He usually lives from hand to mouth.
- The teaching profession and its status:
- During the last hundred years, teaching has been transformed more than another profession. It has been an honorable tradition until the current time. However, at present teachers have to follow the beliefs of their employers instead of their own. In the past, a teacher was expected to be an extraordinary man as there was no control over teachers. They were usually monished for their subversive beliefs later.