Poverty is almost as widely shared as Islam in Afghanistan. Except for a small number of wealthy traders, nomadic tribal leaders, and the Royal family and its retainers, few Afghans have lived far from the basic level of subsistence. Throughout the century, their diet consists of coarse bread, tea, and dairy products, supplemented by fruits and vegetables in season and an occasional serving of mutton or chicken. Though the food is never plentiful, the Afghan diet during good crop years appears to be sufficient to support a vigorous population, but the precariousness of the food supply is obvious from the drastic and continuing erosion of the soil and the creeping desertization of its landscape. The poverty of most Afghan farmers and herders has imposed an elemental quality on their culture. Values are oriented toward social survival. Loyalty to the primary group ultimately takes precedence over self-assertion, despite the great importance given to personal independence. The conflict between these competing values is a major feature of Afghan life, but in-group loyalty has necessarily played the paramount role in the shaping of the attitudes toward fellow Afghans and outsiders.
(i) What is the economic condition of the people of Afghanistan?
(ii) What does the diet of Afghan people consist of?
(iii) Why is the food supply becoming so precarious?
(iv) What is the major feature of Afghan life?
(v) Make a suitable title of the passage.
(vi) Make a précis of the above passage
- The economic condition of the people of Afghanistan is inexplicable. Few Afghans are living from the basic level of substance.
- The diet of Afghan people consists of coarse bread, tea, dairy products and occasional mutton or chickens.
- The food supply is becoming so precarious due to drastic and continuing erosion of soil and creeping desertization of its landscape cause precarious on food supply.
- Despite the great importance to personal independence, the conflict between values is major features of afghan life.
- 1: Poverty and Competing Values of Afghan (2) Poverty and Hunger in Afghanistan
- Precis of passage
Poverty is widely spread in Afghanistan. Other than, few wealthy people and members of royal family, are leading a life below the basic level of subsistence. Throughout the country, the diet consists of coarse bread, tea and dairy products. Food is nerve plentiful. The farmers and herders are also poor. Personal independence and group loyalty has played an important role in shaping the attitude toward fellow afghans and outsiders.
poverty and Hunger in Afghanistan